I didn't get quite as far as I expected over the last couple of days, but I feel like I'll still make the Sunday night deadline.
I added more pumice to the top of the rock outcropping so that it would look more like a trail of integrated soil and less like bark.
Finally added the models! It was almost impossible to drill these models for pinning. I had left a piece of the slotta-tab on the bottom of their foot, which I could use to give more surface area for the 5-minute epoxy. Even so, the purchase is weak, and I had to support the models with cork and allow the glue to set for a day.
Primed. I can finally begin painting!
The sight lines turned out decent. I hope this will be one angle I can use for the final photography.
Meanwhile, continuing to work on the jester's scepter. I attached the head, and I had to reinforce the attachment point to the rod. I experimented with a mix of Milliput and 5-minute epoxy, and the join finally feels like it's going to hold.
Trying to smooth out the piece with Milliput, followed by sanding with emery paper. It needed 2 or 3 more layers, but I'm beginning to get impatient...
Airbrushed the "stage". This was fun.
Some color prep and some pattern-work. This is the first time I've attempted a harlequin diamond-pattern. It was harder than I thought it was going to be, and it took more time than I expected.
I enjoyed painting the squig. I used a lot of my "comfort-zone" watercolor-style wash technique, combined with some wet-blending and opaque highlighting.
This is where I'll leave it for the evening. I like the color schemes of the individual models, but I'm not crazy how they all go together as a whole. I may need to fuss with it more.
Only one day left to complete painting the figures, complete painting the base; enhance the base with foliage, sand, and pigments; and take photographs and attempt to make a collage. Down to the wire!