I had one more WIP series, but it shows the piece pretty close to the final version, just without the foliage and minus refinements on the figures. (The goblin and Momma-Squig are intentionally out-of-focus for this view, hopefully to help give a sense of motion and suspense to the scene.)
I made my deadline to post the photos on the Wyrd gallery. Because we can only post one photo in the gallery, I combined these three photos into a collage. Unfortunately, the gallery shows the collage in a reduced size and resolution, compared to the original photo. Fail!
I don't have an ideal angle to show the piece. The first image is close to what I had in my mind's eye, before I started. I should have positioned the baby squig, before I painted it, so that I could see at what angle to place the scepter in his mouth. The angle required to clearly see the face of on the scepter is a looking-down angle, an angle which looks pretty lousy for the rest of the composition.
The colors worked out OK, but I think I might have come up with better combinations, given more time to think it through. Still, I gained a lot of practice with colors that I rarely use, namely bright yellow, orange, and red.