Not even the chariot (although I still have a chance to finish that tonight -- we'll see...).
|After many sessions of cleaning, prep, assembly, deflashing, etc., the horde is set up on the assembly line for painting.|
It's been a while since I've done assembly-line painting. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've attempted this many models before. I've probably come close with a unit of Saurus Temple Guard or a unit of Dark Elf Spearmen quite a few years ago. But for those units, I had the benefit of using only one color scheme. When I paint goblins, I make it harder on myself. I ponder individual color schemes for each individual model. That approach is not conducive to batch-painting!
|Halfway through zenithal priming.|
So, I have to say, after working with Mantic Games' goblins, I am unimpressed with those models, to put it mildly. It's like they're about 15% melted. I almost abandoned them, and I even considered just throwing them out. But I have two motivators to press through with them.
One, the studio paint-jobs do show them in a relatively good light, where the figures convey a sense of character and personality. After all, those photos are probably what convinced me to buy the models in the first place. If I can manage to bring out that personality, I might be happy with them.
The second reason to persevere with them is that I spent some real money on them! Yup, these guys go all the way back to Mantic's first Kickstarter, if I'm not mistaken. So it's taken 6 or 7 years to finally bring these boys out to the painting table. But I bought a lot of these stinking goblins, so I need to give them a fair shake, before I decide to kick them to the curb.
I assembled 8 of the Mantic goblins to mix into the 4 archer units. I'm going to see how they look in the mix, before I decide their ultimate fate. This plan forces me to prepare 8 back-up models from other ranges, in case I decide against the Mantic goblins. Which creates even more work to get through this project!
|I laid down base colors for a variety of skin tones.|
|One of my favorite steps -- washes. |
The wash step would be very fast, if I didn't spend so much time experimenting with the washes!
I find I'm still trying to master how to craft and apply optimum washes. For example, I compare my home-made washes to store-bought washes. I experiment to see what type of pigment works best: opaque paint, transparent paint, or ink. I experiment with different mixes of water, medium, and flow enhancer. As always, I end up with mixed and inconclusive results!
|The by-product of exploring different wash solutions.|
It took quite a few sessions to get through the first strip of goblins. I spent a lot of time comparing techniques, bouncing back-and-forth between full-on opaque techniques, like wet-blending, and more batch-oriented transparent techniques, like washes and glazes.
On the back-up models, I even tried out the Kevin Dallimore approach of 3-step colors. I am not a fan of that technique, I decided. I'm glad I finally got around to trying it, but it is not for me. It takes more than 3 steps to bring the contrast to where I need it, and I find it more laborious than applying my preferred techniques. As a matter of fact, it was such a grind, I began to understand why some people hate to paint models for their armies!
|The first strip of goblins are done. |
8 strips to go!
Hopefully, all of this experimentation will lead me to some default, "go to" methods, which I can rely on to crank through certain decisions and thus pick up my pace.
|A classic Kev Adams sculpt, a wee Red Box goblin by Tre Manor, and a cool "signaler" for the unit.|
I just love the character in all of these little guys.